On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 02:35:13PM -0700, George Neville-Neil wrote:
> On 4 Feb 2014, at 1:38, Eggert, Lars wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > below are two patches that implement RFC6937 ("Proportional Rate Reduction
> > for TCP") and draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-00 ("Updating TCP to support
> > Rate-Limited Traffic"). They were done by Aris Angelogiannopoulos for his
> > MS thesis, which is at
> > https://eggert.org/students/angelogiannopoulos-thesis.pdf.
> >
> > The patches should apply to -CURRENT as of Sep 17, 2013. (Sorry for the
> > delay in sending them, we'd been trying to get some feedback from
> > committers first, without luck.)
> >
> > Please note that newcwv is still a work in progress in the IETF, and the
> > patch has some limitations with regards to the "pipeACK Sampling Period"
> > mentioned in the Internet-Draft. Aris says this in his thesis about what
> > exactly he implemented:
> >
> > "The second implementation choice, is in regards with the measurement of
> > pipeACK. This variable is the most important introduced by the method and
> > is used to compute the phase that the sender currently lies in. In order to
> > compute pipeACK the approach suggested by the Internet Draft (ID) is
> > followed [ncwv]. During initialization, pipeACK is set to the maximum
> > possible value. A helper variable prevHighACK is introduced that is
> > initialized to the initial sequence number (iss). prevHighACK holds the
> > value of the highest acknowledged byte so far. pipeACK is measured once per
> > RTT meaning that when an ACK covering prevHighACK is received, pipeACK
> > becomes the difference between the current ACK and prevHighACK. This is
> > called a pipeACK sample.  A newer version of the draft suggests that
> > multiple pipeACK samples can be used during the pipeACK sampling period."
> >
> > Lars
> >

> > [prr.patch]
> >
> > [newcwv.patch]
>
> Apologies for not looking at this as yet.  It is now closer to the top of my
> list.
>
> Best,
> George

Hi George,

I have a set of patches for draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-06 that I was going to bring
to the list in the next few days. My implementation is a port of the Linux
implementation by a colleague of mine at the University of Aberdeen.

Feeback on how Aris hooked in his newcwv calls would be helpful.

--
Tom
@adventureloop

#pragma summon cthulhu