I agree, but unfortunately nothing Intel offers came remotely close.  They
have only 1 card that does singlemode, which is a single port to boot and I
can't stick 4 of those in my server.  My choice was merely the only thing I
could find :(

I think I'm going to be better off getting some managed media converters
and a normal copper gigabit card that is well known and supported.
Singlemode cards are hard to find at best and this router will get heavy
use I expect.

Still waiting for PCI vendor information.

Thanks -- lee