Mikhail Teterin wrote:
That said, GNOME's move to LOCALBASE will not be too problematic. šIn
fact, the number of required patches might drop off. šI'd be willing to
bet that if someone did X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} and installed GNOME on a
clean machine right now, it would work.

I have both of these -- X11BASE and LOCALBASE -- set to "/opt" on all of my machines since about 6 years ago. Works fine.

I can second that using /opt as a target seems to work fine, although I've only done so for a few machines which had a big /opt partition handy for one reason or another; I don't use /opt by default. :-)

--
-Chuck