Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
What I propose is:
- Change variable naming scheme.
All *BASE and *DIR vars should be reverted to their original meanings
(i.e. local paths). Instead, INSTALL_ vars should be introduced:
INSTALL_LOCALBASE=${DESTDIR}/${LOCALBASE}
INSTALL_X11BASE=${DESTDIR}/${X11BASE}
INSTALL_PREFIX=${DESTDIR}/${PREFIX}
INSTALL_DATADIR=${DESTDIR}/${DATADIR}

etc. These should be used in do-install target.

* This is far more clean and understandable, * This allows us to make all ports (around 5k) that define do-install target
  DESTDIR-compatible (there still may be issues, but nevertheless).

I agree with every your word.
I was to implement it in this way, but as I said this would require us to change all of the *_DEPENDS lines. Erwin told me that this can't be happen, so I was pushed to go the another way. Erwin is in portmgr, and portmgr's word make sense in these questions...
- Introduce variable DESTDIR_COMPATIBLE to explititely mark
  DESTDIR-compatible ports.
* I don't think DESTDIR compatibility can be tested automatically, so
  this would make freebsd user's life easier (user will be sure that after he
  installs ports into [jail|other freebsd installation mounted via
  nfs|locally] being set corresponging DESTDIR, nothing will break).
  Without such variable, he'll never be sure.
* Port maintainers will know what ports still are to be converted.
  Nothing will be forgotten.

This is exactly I proposed. But I've not been heard.
You have been, but this will happen later, after an -exp run as Erwin said. And in the opposite form. Ports that don't respect DESTDIR will be marked.

--
Cheers,

Gabor