On Nov 13, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

Will this "keep" across a "make update", or do I need to re-do it every
time I update /usr/ports?

I'm not familiar with using "make update" and I don't see any info on
it in man ports.

I run "make update" from /usr/src - it updates /usr/src, /usr/ ports, etc.

portupgrade updates the information in /var/db/pkg.  If make update
doesn't change /var/db/pkg, then the two will not affect one another,
for better or for worse.

What "make update" does is run cvsup for you based on your settings in /etc/make.conf of which SUPFILES to use for updating your system. It has not much to do with portupgrade other than updating the ports tree.