--- Begin Message ---

Garrett Cooper wrote:
Theorem wrote:

Stevan Tiefert wrote:
I need to install the port misc/compat3x-i386 as a dependency for the
port audio/mbrola. The port misc/compat3x-i386 is marked as IGNORE and
it returns an error after "portinstall compat3x-i386":

vagabund# portinstall compat3x-i386
** Port marked as IGNORE: misc/compat3x:
        is forbidden: "FreeBSD-SA-03:05.xdr, FreeBSD-SA-03:08.realpath
- not fixed / no lib available"

How can I install the port compat3x-i386?

'make install' ?

The port you're trying to install ( mbrola ) is binary only and requires libraries that are no longer either 1. in the expected locations or 2. replaced by something better. I suspect since the maintainer for compat3x listed as [EMAIL PROTECTED] then there's not much you can do other than mail that list.

If you decide to hack up your own BSD dist, drag in the binary from ports, and keep adding libraries to your system. The errors from the binary should point out what's wrong and what to add next.

Not much help, good luck.

Theorem

Nothing there that can be installed for compat3x, so you need to see if a) the app can be ported to a later version of FreeBSD, and b) see if the maintainer can swing the upgrade in the Makefile.

FreeBSD 3.x was abandoned a long time ago due to possible security concerns and support issues :).

-Garrett

Yes, thanks for the tip, did this make it to the list ?  I don't see it up
there.

-Theorem

--- End Message ---