Nikola Lecic wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:15:57 -0700
Predrag Punosevac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Nikola Lecic wrote:
Nobody thinks that TeXLive shouldn't be ported :) What do you mean
by "light version"?

One of original arguments for not porting TeXLive was that the
program is simply to big
(over 1Gb). Having downloaded TeXLive (binaries only) on several occasions for my friends over DSL I can confess that that is really
the case (at least 3 hours for binaries over 1.5Mps DSL connection) .

Binaries are 38M:

  % du -sh /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-freebsd/
   38M    /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-freebsd/

(~270 binaries).

texmf-dist/: common, platform-independent resources: 972M
texmf-doc/: 136M

I purpose that the program be ported in the style of Gnome. Light
strip down version which would
be the minimal fully functional configuration,
"full" (English language) version with all bells, and then another
port with the support for different languages, another port Music
part of the TeXLive etc.

Well, yes, of course, this is the way it was done where TeXLive was
ported (OpenBSD, Debian...): as modularised as possible.

The idea of dividing the port is just
initial and should be more carefully considered by the people who
know more about various aspects of TeX that I do not use.

What makes you think they are not aware of this?

Nikola Lečić
Well, I hope that they are aware but it seems that nobody is acting on these issues(or at least not fast enough).