 >data
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
some spam xxx.
.
 >quit

In this case whitelist_from [EMAIL PROTECTED] is triggered, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't a case in older versions of spamassassin.

Any ideas what is changed, and how I can restored the old behavior.

As far as I know, nothing has changed. What you are seeing is expected behaviour.

"whitelist_from" should only be used as a last resort because it blindly trusts the (alleged) envelope sender address. The documentation warns about this: <http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#whitelist_and_blacklist_options>

Personally, I include the SPF plugin and use "whitelist_from_spf" entries wherever possible. Failing that (if sending domain doesn't publish SPF details) I use "whitelist_from_rcvd".

This document says that envelope_sender_header is used to check whitelist_from - and I'm using postfix - it set "Return-path" header,
and I think the problem is that spamassassin no more read this.

I'll check if setting manually envelope_sender_header will change something.

--

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev