Matthew Seaman ha scritto:

This isn't really a question for freebsd-ports, but...

Sorry! I thought that, since ckuser is not part of sendmail or
cyrusimap, but is in the sendmail port, this would possibly be a good
place. Where should I post instead?

The way to do this is to configure the cyrus smmapd to listen on
a network port -- something like this in /usr/local/etc/cyrus.conf

# Sendmail socket map daemon smmapd cmd="smmapd" listen="192.168.1.1:smmap" prefork=1
  smmapdunix    cmd="smmapd"    listen="/var/imap/socket/smmapd" prefork=1

This I've already done.

Then you can tell your 2ary sendmails to use that to check for
mailbox existence and quota availability -- in /etc/mail/`hostname`.mc:

FEATURE(`ckuser_cyrus', `inet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]')dnl

Did this too; first time I restarted sendmail, I read:

sm-mta: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local mailer defined
sm-mta: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set

I checked everything again and restarted; now I get no errors, but the above line does nothing; everything still works as before with incoming mail accepted and forwarded to the primary MX, then bounced back.

Oh, and I'd be wary of exposing the smmapd port on the internet:
either arrange for your 1ary and 2ary mailers to have a private
back-end network they can communicate on

This is my case.

Making your 2ary machines speak LMTP to cyrus on your mail box server
involves very similar tweaks. You'll need something like this in your
.mc file:

define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')dnl
define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP your.mail.server lmtp')dnl

I'll try this, if I can't get the above to work.

 bye & Thanks
        av.