I'm also having the same problem building on
FreeBSD/AMD64 8-CURRENT.  I commented out the entries
I had in ports.conf for this port, and checked CFLAGS:

# cd /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gpl
# make -V CFLAGS
-O2 -pipe  -fno-strict-aliasing

And the port fails the same way.  FT_BRIDGE is not enabled.  When I added -fPIC
to CFLAGS_STANDARD.  Then the port would build.

Scot