On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 17:33:43 +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Marcin Wisnicki wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 06:25:27 +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
>
>> It will install gnome2 along with it's dependencies but in some way
>> mark gnome2 package as installed by user, say, by creating /var/db/pkg/
>> gnome2-2.22/+USER_INSTALLED or even easier, by maintaing some special
>> unremovable dummy package that would depend on all packages installed
>> explicitly.
>
> This has the same problems as my scheme

But is simpler both conceptually and in implementation

> and I'm not sure the benefits
> are the same. With pkg_trans, we know explicitly which packages were
> pulled in when, and the order in which they were pulled.

Well I'm not sure why any user would care about order and it can be
inferred from mtime of package metadata or new "+comment DATE" (see
http://blogs.freebsdish.org/andenore/) anyway.

What is important is to know:
 1. Which packages are important to user (most likely the those that he
installed explicitly)
 2. Which packages can be safely removed = everything that is not (1) or
isn't a dependancy of (1)

>> * Install a newer version of postgresql, have an OMG moment and
>> remember you need to dump the database with the old version and reaload
>> it with the new version. Revert the install by deleting the new
>> packages and reinstalling the old ones (i.e. undo a removal).
>>
>> pkg_deinstall -R posgtresql-8.4.0; pkg_add postgresql-8.3.0
>
> Yes, with the exception that something needs to do "pkg_create -b
> postgresql-8.3.0" before it's removed, and I don't trust myself to
> remember this every time :) (I want it to happen automatically)

Or save the package during installation. Like portugprade.
Anyway, it is a separate problem.