RW wrote:
On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 21:07:43 +0300
Dmitry Marakasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am not aware of any mechanism for this. But I agree that it's
really needed. Before (in cvsup times) we could just place patches
under files/ and be happy, but now when more people use portsnap
we need something better.

I wonder if portsnap actually needs to behave the way it does.

Portsnap stores its compressed snapshot as one .gz file for each
port plus one for each additional file (files in Mk/ etc). When you
do an "update" any modified snapshot files are extracted over
the appropriate location in the ports tree.
The reason that "portsnap extract" deletes patch-files is that before
each .gz file is extracted, the corresponding file or port directory is
deleted. I wonder why, if an "update" can decompress over the top of a
port, an "extract" need to delete it first. I can't think of any good
reason offhand.

Modifying portsnap not to delete extra files is just a matter of
deleting one line. The behaviour of portsnap extract would then be
virtually identical to csup. Alternately, it wouldn't be much harder to
create a new portsnap command.

I've encountered a similar situation where I wanted to add patches or even patch/replace standard files in a port to meet my needs, but portsnap wipes them out. For now I'm using cfengine to re-apply my local changes to the ports tree on about 10 systems, but I have to remember to run cfagent after portsnap manually (I don't want to use cfengine in daemon mode). I thought it would be nice if portsnap.conf would let me specify a post-execution command so I could make it run cfagent on its own, so there is little chance to forget. My goal is to allow customizations while retaining the same standard command procedures that would be used on a plain system, to provide consistency across the board without introducing custom scripts that replace standard commands. In that light, it would be useful if csup had something similar, however I practically never need to maintain patches to /usr/src/. Just posting this as food for thought.