Hi!

As a port maintainer, you sometimes have to provide patches in your
ports in order to have a piece of code working.  If you maintain
projects in a team, you will likely have to handle patches that you
wrote along with patches that your co-workers have created.

While this situation is not hard to handle while creating the port, it
is slightly more complex when you want to update the port in question.
You have to deal with each patch and see if it is still relevant, and
since you don't have many info about it, you first have to figure out
what it is supposed to fix.  Generally, you try with / without the patch
and see if you keep it, but don't go any further (search is the bug has
been reported upstream, if solutions have been provided upstream, etc.).

If I consider for example the port of Mono:
http://code.google.com/p/bsd-sharp/source/browse/trunk/lang/mono/files

We have 13 patches I want to review in order to cleanup the port.

I would like to ask random questions like:
  - who made this patch? [*]
  - what is-it supposed to do? [*]
  - has it been reported upstream? where?
  - is it fixed in projects trunk upstream?
  - will it expire at some point (e.g. trunk has been fixed after
    foo-1.0.1 was tagged so the patch will be useless as soon as foo is
    at version>1.0.1)

Questions marked with a * can be answered directly using some version
control system (even if in my case it will not help much since most
patches come from revision 3: «Initial import: copy of the cvs repo.»).

I am so wondering if anyone has ever setup some tools to ease
collaborative ports maintenance?

Thanks!
Romain

--
Romain Tartière <rom...@blogreen.org>        http://romain.blogreen.org/
pgp: 8DAB A124 0DA4 7024 F82A  E748 D8E9 A33F FF56 FF43 (ID: 0xFF56FF43)