On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:22:34 -0600, Coleman Kane <cok...@freebsd.org>
wrote:

Hello,

I recently played with building Thunderbird 3.0b1 from source (it works
pretty well, btw). I was playing with some of the options to enable
using the system versions of a number of libraries, rather than relying
upon statically linking them into the project.

We should keep compile static link, because PNG folks disapprove Mozilla's APNG patch. It's what we did with Firefox 3.

Cheers,
Mezz

One thing that I noticed was the APNG patch from here:
  * http://littlesvr.ca/apng/.
This seems to be expected by Thunderbird and is part of the latest
source tree. Mozilla has been maintaining a format spec here:
  * https://wiki.mozilla.org/APNG_Specification

Sadly the patch has lagged behind the latest releases of libpng. I
merged the patch into the latest version (1.2.33) that we use, and have
made an appropriate change to the port files of graphics/png. I think
that APNG support from libpng may be useful in other software as well.

I am attaching the patch, to apply in /usr/ports, for anyone to test. So
far it doesn't seem to regress anything for me, and I can use
thunderbird 3 with --with-system-png=/usr/local in my .mozconfig. I'd
like to see some other testers, and get a comment from the graphics/png
maintainer.

--
me...@cox.net  -  m...@freebsd.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team