www/squid30 sets up an rc.d startup script that includes

  squid_user=${squid_user:-squid}

This makes it impossible to get squid to listen on a port lower than 1024.

If I specify

 squid_user=root

in my rc.conf will I be doing something stupid? Does squid appropriately drop privileges after binding to a socket?

The background for this is that I want to set up a proxy to listen on port 70 (yes that is gopher). There is a bit of a move afoot to set up proxies to allow people from Iran to get to sites like twitter and facebook which are currently being blocked by the Iranian government. They have just started blocking things to destination ports like 8080 and 3128.

FreeBSD 7-STABLE, www/squid30

Cheers,

-j