On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 17:31:57 +0200, Eitan Adler wrote:

> I was hoping to get a bit more of a response to a recent posting of mine
> with regard to using svn to fetch files for ports My proposal:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg23776.html A
> summary of what has been going on:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/EitanAdler/ports-svn
>
> This is something that more than 2 people should have an input on

Unless you solve plist problem (and completely automated plist generation
would be a fantastic thing to have!), such functionality should not be
available (or at least advertised) to end-users.
You may also consider moving it to separate file (bsd.maintainer.mk).

I don't quite get the logic behind ${USER} == ${SVN_USER} conditional.
Why do you assume that if my username is the same as username for svn
checkout then I want to upload snapshot to freefall ? In addition not
every maintainer has @freebsd.org account. Uploading should be
customizable (maybe UPLOAD_CMD - like FETCH_CMD).

Other than that I really like the idea (maintainer part) since I had to
do something similar recently with smartmontools and having a
standardised way to prepare ports for svn snapshots would have saved me
some time. FWIW here is how I did it (in port's Makefile):

PORTVERSION=    5.38.r${SVNREVISION}
SVNREVISION=    2924
# no prebuilt files in svn
USE_AUTOTOOLS=  aclocal:110 autoheader:262 automake:110 autoconf:262
# skip...
.if defined(MAINTAINER_MODE)
DISTFILES=
SVN_URL=        https://path/to/trunk

x-maintainer-make-snapshot:
        svn export -r${SVNREVISION} ${SVN_URL} ${DISTNAME}
        ${TAR} -cjvf ${DISTNAME}.tar.bz2 ${DISTNAME}
        ${RM} -rf ${DISTNAME}

post-extract:
        svn co -r${SVNREVISION} ${SVN_URL} ${WRKSRC}

.if defined(HEAD_REVISION)
SVNREVISION!=   svn info ${SVN_URL} | grep "^Last Changed Rev:" \
                | awk '{print $$4}'
.endif

# TODO generate plist
.endif # MAINTAINER_MODE