Howdy!

I'm very pleased to announce that the first version of portmaster with
package support is ready for beta testing. :) I'd like to thank all
those who have been so generous in supporting this work. It's really a
great feeling not only knowing that the community is supportive of my
efforts, but also to be able to finally make this feature available
after so many requests have been made for it.

As you can see from the commit message below I have tried to stay
(mostly) command-line compatible with portupgrade so the syntax of the
new features shouldn't be a problem. For now the only available method
of fetching packages is via http, I'll be working on file system
support next. I don't think ftp support is going to be possible unless
I can find a creative way to download a remote directory list.

*** I'm sure that there are some rough edges, so if you choose to test
this please back up at least your /var/db/pkg directory first. ***

Things to look out for:
1. If you get a failure on not being able to find a package repository
please send me the output of 'uname -r'
2. You should probably use -v to start with (if you don't already) to
get an idea of what's happening behind the scenes

Things I need testing for:
1. Especially if you set PACKAGESITE, I need to know how people use
this, do you keep all your files in one big directory, do you keep
them organized by ports category (e.g., archivers, dns, etc.)?
2. If you set the PACKAGEROOT environment variable
3. Interaction of the package stuff with "exotic" command line
options. I've tried to test as many combinations as I can think of,
but y'all are more creative than I am. :)

If you're reporting a bug or problem please include the output of
'uname -r', what command line options you used, what you thought
should happen, what actually happened, any error messages, etc.

To get the new version:
1. If you have svn installed:
svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/user/dougb/portmaster
2. Via http:
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/user/dougb/portmaster

Enjoy!

Doug