On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 08:51:25AM +0200, Eitan Adler wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that svn did its own checksumming.
> If so why do we need to our own?

Subversion's checksumming makes sure that you get exactly the same files
that are on the Subversion server at this particular moment in time.

The Ports Collection's distfile checksums make sure that you get exactly
the same files *as the port maintainer examined at some previous moment
in time*.

The difference is crucial.

  svnadmin create /home/svn/foo

  svn import http://.../foo/trunk/mycoolproject

  <create a port of mycoolproject>

  rm -rf /home/svn/foo

  svnadmin create /home/svn/foo

  svn import http://.../foo/trunk/mycoolproject

...and suddenly the port fetches something completely different.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  r...@ringlet.net    r...@space.bg    r...@freebsd.org
Key fingerprint FDBA FD79 C26F 3C51 C95E  DF9E ED18 B68D 1619 4553