Wesley Shields wrote:
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:00:08AM +0200, Eitan Adler wrote:
Actually I was thinking of eventually adding non-svn support as well....

I don't think bloating bsd.*.mk for the most common VCS out there is a
good idea, not to mention what happens when someone wants support for
some oddball VCS that is not normally used?

The reason I started on this project is because the version of mplayer in
ports is severely out of date. When I tried to update to port I noticed that
the project wants you to compile and install from svn. I also noticed a few
other ports that have hacks to let the maintainers "use his/her custom
scripts" stuck into the port's Makefile. I think it would be good if there
was some standardized way of solving both of these problems...

Sure, but it doesn't belong in bsd.*.mk. Turn it into a script and
submit it as a regular port.

If it were just one port and/or just a port maintainers tool I'd agree. But this is something that affects MULTIPLE ports.

Surely the whole value/purpose of the ports build infrastructure is to present a consistent way of doing things rather than different maintainers doing their own thing and solving problems in different, and quite possibly sub-optimal ways and/or bloating multiple individual port Makefiles with what could be kept in a single bsd.*.mk file.

And if the file were (say) bsd.vcs.mk and were pulled in only if one of

USE_SVNFETCH
USE_CVSFETCH
USE_GITFETCH

etc were defined then the impact of the bloat on other ports is minimal.

A quick scan of ports reveals that the following contain the string "svn export" in their Makefile

ports/cad/kicad-devel
ports/comms/wsjt
ports/comms/wspr
ports/devel/compiler-rt
ports/devel/llvm-devel
ports/devel/thrift
ports/games/evq3
ports/games/q2pro
ports/games/freeorion
ports/games/worldofpadman
ports/net-im/cjc
ports/www/twiki
ports/www/foswiki
ports/x11-toolkits/gigi

This thread has revealed at least two further ports that use a svn distribution but where this is hidden from the user. That's 15 ports already that could be sharing common code instead of doing it themselves. How many do you need?

--
Thomas Sandford