Thanks in advance for any help

I reported problems following an upgrade ro 4.3.5 in a previous thread:
kde4 Upgrade to 4.3.5 -problems

The major problem was solved BUT I am now left without a working keyboard
although the mouse works.

After kde4 loaded with usual plasmas but no keyboard input was possible
despite the following entries  in /etc/rc.conf

hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

I would experiment so I plugged in an another keyboard (this time on the USB
bus). Tested that that worked on a normal console and then

% startx

produced a total system crash!

I removed the additional keyboard, & after booting to single user mode and
running fsck tried startx again.

Kde started fine. However still no keyboard function.

Logged out and tried
% startx
again -- system crashed again!!!.
So the crash does not seem to have anything to do with the second keyboard
but a lot to do with logging out of X and trying to log in again.

Does anyone have any clue here?

Again this is freebsd 7.2 p3 amd64 on intel quad core.

Thanks in advance

David