On Wed, 19 May 2010, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:

Since the xorg update my xfce4 desktop has become unusable. I always
get the error message below. I even setup FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE from
scratch, updated to 8.0-STABLE, installed xorg and xfce4 with default
settings:
So now everything should be completely vanilla:
xfdesktop[7480]: starting up
process 7466: arguments to dbus_message_new_signal() were incorrect,
assertion "_dbus_check_is_valid_path (path)" failed in file
dbus-message.c line 1165.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
 D-Bus not compiled with backtrace support so unable to print a backtrace
Abort trap (core dumped)

If you can live without the features of xfce4-session, deinstalling it should allow xfce to run.

There's another approach that may work for you here:
  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2010-May/061097.html