Lev Serebryakov wrote:
Hello, Łukasz.
You wrote 16 сентября 2011 г., 22:17:58:

were not recompiled). Updating ports should never turn off or restart
service - thats my $0.02.
  I agree with that. It is not difficult to REstart service by hands.

   But stopping service is another story. Many ports/packages stop
  service on dinstall/pkg_delete, and as result, if port with service
  are upgraded in the middle of large upgrade session (and it is not
  always possible to upgrade services SEPARATELY, due to dependences),
  here is large window when old service is stopped, but new cannot be
  started yet.

From my point of view, it is better to not stop the service by deinstall phase, if it is not started by install. If I do portmaster -a, deinstall of MySQL stops the mysql daemon and all dependent services are unavailable for a very long time - until all other packages are upgraded and administrator starts MySQL by hand. It can be hours.

But I like the idea based on portupgrade AFTERINSTALL / (AFTERUPGRADE) - some kind of custom hooks, where user can define actions for specific packages / services. It can be restart in some cases, or write something to log, or send an e-mail, or print some user defined warning text about dependencies needed to be upgraded / restarted... and so on.

Miroslav Lachman