On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:15:00AM +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> As crees@ suggested, I'm sending an email to ports@ about this.
>
> What really bothers me when I use the FreeBSD Ports tree on one of my
> systems, is that the behaviour of dealing with services is quite
> inconsistent. As mentioned in the PR:

I agree inconsistency is a problem that could be addressed, but I don't
particularly agree with some of your statements.

> - If I upgrade Apache, MySQL or PostgreSQL, it does not restart the
>   service, meaning it won't use the freshly installed daemon. This has
>   potential security issues.

I'd prefer that no services are started or stopped automatically, unless
absolutely necessary for the upgrade.

> - If I upgrade Dovecot, it shuts it down during the upgrade, but won't
>   restart it. This means that I have to watch portmaster to complete and
>   must not forget to restart Dovecot afterwards.

Unless it is absolutely necessary to stop and restart dovecot during an
upgrade I would like to see this removed.

> My question is whether anyone has ever attempted to improve the
> integration with rc-scripts? In the PR I propose something along these
> lines:
>
>       We know exactly which ports install rc scripts (USE_RC_SUBR).
>       Why not run `/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} status' and
>       `/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} stop' prior to installation. Based
>       on the return value of the first, we can run
>       `/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} start' after installation.

I'm of the opinion that ports/packages should not touch running services
unless absolutely necessary.

-- WXS