On 16/11/2011 23:30, Sahil Tandon wrote:
On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 13:16:34 -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

[SNIP]
It would be immensely helpful if run-time details could be made
available including line of source code, and any system configuration
details that are necessary to reproduce the condition.

+1

I hope someone with access to the cluster machine can provide this
information.  As much as I've tried to mimic the cluster conditions
myself, I am unable to reproduce the fatal socket error on any FreeBSD
version.

I've just managed to reproduce the fatal socket error locally.

It can occur when IPv6 is enabled, but you don't have any IPv6 addresses configured on any interfaces. (Yes, having an IPv6 enabled interface with no addresses assigned is non-RFC3513 compliant, but it can and does occur).

The cause (at least locally) is the socket call on line 214 in util/inet_proto.c which fails with errno 43 (EPROTONOSUPPORT - Protocol not supported).

Regards,

Jase.