Too much to quote here without making a mess, and I want to get to bed, but
thanks for all the ideas.

I noticed the advice with emulators/wine that running programs on an actual
MS-Windows partition can make a mess of said partition; wonder if there would
be such a hazard with Linux instead of MS-Windows.

But it was safe to run programs on a DOS partition when I had OS/2 Warp 3 and
4, which could run many DOS programs even without using an actual DOS installed.

OS/2 Warp 4 could also boot a specific version of DOS, but there were still
limitations on what DOS programs could do when running under OS/2.

Tom