On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 01:25:25PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 12/09/2011 13:18, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> >> BTW, this part of my suggestion was inspired by the following:
> >> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage_11.3#Check_processes
> >>
> >> Not sure how that feature is implemented though.
> >>
> > FYI, since a few minutes, pkgng handle rc scripts, disabled by default
> > because I
> > still consider this feature dangerous.
> > to activate it is:
> > HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS=yes in pkg.conf
>
> I previously described what I thought was a pretty good way to handle
> this question that addressed the needs expressed by all of the posters
> on the previous thread, but my suggestion didn't get any responses.
> Since this has come up again, it would be helpful (to me at least) if
> people would think about my idea, and if nothing else tell me why I'm
> wrong. :)
>
> Quoting:
>
> Speaking only for myself I hate the idea of stopping/starting services
> automatically. However this feature is often requested, and is something
> that is provided by many other package systems. If we have people who
> are willing to do the work I think it's worth discussing how to do it
> properly.
>
> The way that I envision it working
> would be a 3-knob system. One knob to always restart the services, one
> to never do it; and then asking on a per-port basis, which should be the
> default. I can imagine portmaster detecting this option in the pre-build
> phase similarly to how it detects and warns about IS_INTERACTIVE now,
> and giving the user a menu of options for how to handle it. I'm happy to
> add more details if people are interested.
>
> Where this actually becomes interesting is not in the ports
> build/install process, which is pretty easy to deal with, but with
> package installs/deinstalls. I definitely think it's doable, what we
> probably want to do is put a knob for this in the port's Makefile, and
> handle the stop/start for both the port and the package with a little
> script that can be included in the package, and run with @exec and @unexec.

Personally I think this is a little overboard... not your idea but the fact of
trying to determine a function of restarting services for the user. If end-user
is upgrading a package they should be prepared to take any neccesary action to
start the services again after final actions are complete. Desperate services
could have a periodic script that could handle the checks for these services
and I strongly advise against taking any action whatsoever on starting or
restarting or reloading. Stop the service if need be but never "assume"
anything about starting a service without strict user interaction.

If at all likelyness that this happens then I have one request... One simple
knob that defaults to ``NO'' for restarting or starting or reloading. I think
this is at least reasonable.