On 03/28/2012 11:13 AM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
PORTREVISION is historically bumped when you change the resultant
package under the default OPTIONS.  Basically if you cause the package
to be rebuilt on pointyhat then you need to bump it.

I was going to say the same thing. But then I thought: this will cause PORTREVISION to be bumped anytime a RUN_DEPENDS or LIB_DEPENDS is updated (because the package will change in +CONTENTS).

But, for example, it seems to me that PORTREVISION should NOT be bumped if a LIB_DEPENDS changes, and it is not a major library revision change. For example, in this case the portmaster program reinstalls the library only, and changes the +CONTENTS and +REQUIRED_BY of the various installed packages appropriately. And the program will still work just fine. So PORTREVISION should not be bumped.