Christian Reiss wrote:

Hey there,

The proftpd port is borked atm.

If you (make config / make / make install) it with SFTP activated in
the options you (still) don't get sftp.

Activated Options:

- - Deflate,
- - IPV6,
- - PCRE,
- - SFTP,
- - SFTPD.

Configuration (SFTP part)

SFTPEngine               on
SFTPHostKey              /usr/local/certs/proftpd.key

[...]

It worked in previous version perfectly.
I tried upgrading my current server AND doing this from a clean 9.0
install where I only added the abovementioned sftp configuration
additions.

I think you need to read /usr/ports/UPDATING entry:

20120126:
  AFFECTS: users of ftp/proftpd and ftp/proftpd-mysql
  AUTHOR: Martin Matuska <m...@freebsd.org>

  The proftpd port has been updated to 1.3.4 and changed to use
  dynamically loadable modules. Please add corresponding LoadModule
  directives to your configuration file, like in the following example:

    LoadModule mod_tls.c