Hi,

I have the same libpng error when starting Opera 12.11 as already mentioned on this list. I happen to run KDE and ktrace shows me it crashes while reading icons like /usr/local/kde4/share/icons/oxygen/64x64/mimetypes/unknown.png. After renaming these icons so Opera does not find them it still prints 'libpng error: incorrect data check' but does not crash anymore.
If I start without KDE integration there is no error anymore.
You can do this by adding Dialog Toolkit=4 to the [File Selector] part of your opera*.ini.
http://de.opera.com/support/usingopera/operaini/#file_selector

Not an ideal solution, but at least I can read my e-mail again in Opera.

Cheers,
Ronald.