On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 07:45:42AM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> hi,
>
> A lot of people seems to be complaining about the configuration dialog popping
> up all the time.
>
> What if we change the default behaviour to not pop up the dialog each time
> there
> is a changed option but only when the user explicitly type make config?
>
> Just a proposal, please give your opinion.
>
> Of course make config-recursive behaviour won't change.
>
> regards,
> Bapt

I am strongly against it. Firstly, it's against POLA, secondly, while it
hides complexity of the ports system it also hides its biggest
advantage.
You'll never know which knobs the ports you want to build offer and new
users will never find out how to build an Apache web server with PHP
support.

My proposal get rid of the nagging NLS and DOCS window, ask the user
initially if they want NLS and DOCS and enable/disable it globally.
Second, encourage the use of portmaster to install new ports, which
recursively displays the OPTIONS dialog and does this much faster than
make config-recursive.
That way you can set/unset all OPTIONS, go to bed and don't find an
unanswered dialog in the next morning.

Lars