On 11/16/2013 8:25 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:
On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Melvyn Sopacua <mel...@magemana.nl> wrote:
2) If meta-information is moved to pkg-descr, it might be worthwhile
   to add some knowledge about formats and restrictions to portlint.

If we go this route I would *strongly* prefer that we do not invent
our own format.  We should use an existing format.  (I don't care
which one: YAML, JSON, ...) ?

Which both require parsing libraries. We don't need that and neither does anything else that might want to read the ports tree and extract this information. This is easily implemented with simple keywords:

We have "WWW:" in pkg-descr. So add "License:", "Vendor:", etc. to pkg-descr.

That's parseable using the regex or literal matching built into every scripting language, most programming languages, and your average human. If you want to carry on about using an existing format, the above is CSV (character-separated values)--one of the most well-established and well-supported file formats in existence.