There are many messages on this thread, and I don't know which or what to
quote, but I agree on send-pr being user-unfriendly.

One problem is setting up mail with outbound SMTP server: sendmail is too
mysterious/mystic to be useful.

I think most email clients set up to use POP3 and SMTP server without using
sendmail at all.

I use mpop and msmtp.

Many users with problems might be just getting started on FreeBSD installation
and not have graphic interface yet and might thereby not be able to use WWW
interface (lynx, maybe?).  I have that problem on FreeBSD 10-stable and HEAD.

Or maybe they have X installed but it won't start or is crippled.  I have that
problem on NetBSD.

It helps if one also has NetBSD installed, and/or Linux with a pkgsrc-like or
FreeBSD-ports-like package manager (such as Gentoo with portage) so as to
compare notes/problems/options when something goes wrong, as happened to me
recently with devel/subversion.

This is not to bad-mouth FreeBSD, just to have a model for comparison, and more
help than I've got so far from this list.

Primary reason why I built devel/subversion on my USB stick installation of
NetBSD-current amd64 was that re(4) driver works in NetBSD and Linux and fails
on FreeBSD, OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD latest releases.

Tom