On Sun, 5 Jan 2014, the wise Gyrd Thane Lange wrote:

Hi!

I had a similar problem some time ago. Some intermediate combination of
pkg-tools/ruby/portupgrade installed bad metadata. The following
helped me identity the ports with bad files:

find /var/db/pkg -type f -exec iconv -t US-ASCII {} > /dev/null \;

Reinstalling the indicated ports solved it for me. I'm currently using
pkg-tools, ruby19 and portupgrade with no problems on FreeBSD 8.3.

Well thank you Gyrd! This was actually the problem. Your commandline showed that jpilot had bad metadata, and after removing it the pkgdb seems clean again.

Thanks all for the help.

Regards,
Marco

--
GENIUS:
        Person clever enough to be born in the right place at the right