On 08/20/2014 13:20, Mark Martinec wrote:
>> On 9/21/2013 5:49 AM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>>> Ports now support enabling Stack Protector [1] support on FreeBSD 10
>>> i386 and amd64, and older releases on amd64 only currently.
>>>
>>> Support may be added for earlier i386 releases once all ports properly
>>> respect LDFLAGS.
>>>
>>> To enable, just add WITH_SSP=yes to your make.conf and rebuild all
>>> ports.
>>>
>>> The default SSP_CLFAGS is -fstack-protector, but -fstack-protector-all
>>> may optionally be set instead.
>>>
>>> Please help test this on your system. We would like to eventually enable
>>> this by default, but need to identify any major ports that have run-time
>>> issues due to it.
>>>
>>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow_protection
>>>

>> We have not had any feedback on this yet and want to get it enabled by
>> default for ports and packages.
>>
>> We now have a repository that you can use rather than the default to
>> help test. We need your help to identify any issues before switching the
>> default.
>>
>> This repository is available for:
>>
>> head
>> 10.0
>> 9.1,9.2,9.3
>>
>> It is not available for 8.4. If someone is willing to test on 8.4 I will
>> build a repository for it.
>>
>> Place this in /usr/local/etc/pkgs/repos/FreeBSD_ssp.conf:
>>
>> FreeBSD: { enabled: no }
>> FreeBSD_ssp: {
>>   url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/ssp";,
>>   mirror_type: "srv",
>>   signature_type: "fingerprints",
>>   fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
>>   enabled: yes
>> }
>>
>> Once that is done you should force reinstall packages from this
>> repository:
>>
>>   pkg update
>>   pkg upgrade -f
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>> Bryan Drewery
>> On behalf of portmgr.
>
> I'm building about 2000 ports for our 10.0 servers and workstations using
> poudriere since the 10.0 release, using  WITH_SSP_PORTS=yes in poudriere's
> make.conf. I suppose the WITH_SSP_PORTS=yes is equivalent to WITH_SSP=yes
> but limited to ports (not sure where I got this setting, must have been
> some announcement).
>
> So far I haven't come across any ill effects that I could attribute to SSP.
>
>   Mark

I concur with Mark, with my 1400+ packages for workstations and servers,
I have had zero issues.  This seems like a pretty safe change.  I just
confirmed -fstack-protector is in my build logs although less frequently
than I assumed for ports such as zenity, meld, pidgin (once or twice
each).  Other ports such as vlc mention it 2029 times.  Not sure if the
low counts are expected.