Am 03.09.2014 um 17:15 schrieb Michelle Sullivan <miche...@sorbs.net>:

> I learned that the ports tree was being updated so much that things
> would break every day in just 580 packages I have.

I have to ask, why you had to build from the HEAD of the ports tree every day?

I never do this. I only take the quarterly releases (before, I would wait for a
FreeBSD Release and the accompanying freeze and use that) and if something
doesn’t build, I try to update only that port (making a backup) from „current“
ports tree.

Still, if you absolutely need pkg_*, you’ve either got to backport every single
port to use pkg_* again or upgrade the servers that use it to pkg.
I admit it’s a big task, if you have many servers - but the effort is well
worth it IMO because upgrading packages with anything but pkg is a nightmare.

For me, the EOL of the pkg_* tools was never a concern, so I never read the
announcements that closely.

Maybe someone can pull out the old mails and tell if they actually spelled out
that you can’t even build ports anymore if you don’t have pkg installed.

I can say that there is no chance we would be using FreeBSD anymore here at all
if it didn’t have pkg!