Judging by the email address this appears to be an unmaintained port.

Twice already I have lost shared directories. Most recently I lost my
main music directory. After a quick search on the internet it appears
that stuff like this even happens on Linux, so it's probably not a
kernel bug, but rather a bug with this port.

I tend to symlink stuff into my main shares directory, so it might be
an "rm ../something" bug.

Would it make sense to flag this port as broken somehow? I know that
I've only ever lost files while running this program, never when not
running it.

uname -a:
FreeBSD sas 10.0-STABLE FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #1 r264433: Mon Apr 14
14:19:15 NZST 2014     ben@sas:/usr/obj/usr/src/10/sys/GENERIC  amd64