On 13/10/2016 10:33 AM, RW via freebsd-ports wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 11:59:47 -0700
Julian Elischer wrote:

As the number of dependencies between packages get ever higher, it
becomes more and more difficult to compile packages and the
dependence on binary precompiled packages is increased. However
binary packages are unsuitable for some situations.  We really need
to follow the lead of some of the Linux groups and have -runtime and
-devel versions of packages,  OR  we what woudlbe smarter, woudl be
to have several "sub manifests" to allow unpacking in different
environments.

A simple example:   libxml2

This package installs include files and libraries and dicumentation
etc.

yet if I build an appliance , I want it to only install a singe file.

/usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2
What practical problem does installing the include files and man pages
cause you?
I have to delete them from the appliance I'm building up.
So I need to get the manifest, remove the files I want from it, and delete every other file mentioned.

This is an appliance class machine. It has 2G of storage and that has to include 2 copies for the OS so we can ping-pong for upgrades.