On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 17:46:15 +0100, Kurt Jaeger <li...@opsec.eu>
wrote:

>Hi!

Moin!

>> On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 17:26:00 +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote
>> >Getting the ports/pkg tree moving with the velocity necessary
>> >to cope with the fast-changing world, sometimes things break
>> >and we all try to prevent this. Sometimes, mistakes happen...
>>
>> But it's the velocity that's the problem, Kurt.
>
>While I very much sympathize with "The world rotates too fast,
>I want to get off", for me it looks like as a project we do
>not have alternatives.

Why not?  What would happen to fBSD that's not already happening?
Why aren't people asking what's going on and how to turn it
around?  Could it be because they're too busy being busy?

There's a well-known problem that kills ground-attack pilots all
the time (or it used to; maybe they have safety features built
into the aircraft now).  They become fixated on their target, and
they bring the nose of their aircraft further and further down to
keep the target in their sights.  Which causes them to fly right
into the ground!

Fixation is a problem in other fields, too.

>> Do you know of anyone who has successfully defended, or even
>> tried to defend, the current manic pace of revision and
>> obsoleting?
>
>Is it defense, if we see many projects (open source etc)
>shorten their cycle time (e.g. php7), because they see the need to
>add features or patch security issues (and breaks APIs/ABIs doing either) ?

It seems more like an excuse than a defence, to me.  Is it
pushing Linux back?  If not, what *would* push Linux back?  Why
is Linux so successful even though fBSD is older and better, and
was once completely dominant in the space?  What are the Linux
projects doing that we're not?

>And if we try to keep up and for this, if we add features to the
>ports framework ? I'm doing this (application mgmt on unix systems)
>for a long time now, a quarter of a century, and I see no viable
>alternative in the problem space we work in.

I trained as a clinical psychologist, not in computer science or
ee.   We learned that adults are notoriously resistant to change
(not that we hadn't noticed that ourselves, most of us, but it
was nice to have it confirmed "officially").

But change is possible, even for adults.  The key to change is to
realise, at the gut level, that change *is* possible, that things
need *not* always be as they are now.   That life really truly
can be better.

That's really hard for most adults to believe.  The prospect of
change is terrifying because it threatens us with loss of
control.

But we don't have to lose control.  We can change a bit at a
time, staying in control all the while.  All we need is the will
to do it.  (The world is in the mess it's in because, it seems,
most of those who have the will to change use it for malignant
purposes --the last several US presidents being cases in point)

>I also see that this very fast speed uses up huge amounts of
>person power and compute resources (all those folks rebuilding
>many ports in their build hosts). But it's not easy to stop off
>this planet 8-}

I would never urge that we jump off the planet.  It'd be too hard
to breathe outside the atmospheric envelope.  :-)

But that doesn't mean we're currently doing the right things to
regain share from Linux and save FreeBSD.