> The ports tree continues to evolve. Major new features are planned and in the
> process of being implemented. These changes will break all the port-building
> tools.

> poudriere and synth are actively developed, so they will quickly support the
> new changes. portmaster and portupgrade are no longer being actively
> developed, so it is anticipated that they will stop working until somebody
> fixes
> them (if at all).

> So no, portmaster isn't going away. But, there's no guarantee that it will
> keep working. We strongly, strongly advise everyone to use poudriere or synth
> to build their ports, and then plain old "pkg upgrade" to handle updates.

> The vast majority of problems reported on this mailing list exist only in
> portmaster/portupgrade, because they do not do clean builds. At this point,
> portmaster should only be used by people with enough ports development
> experience to understand and mitigate conflicts and various build errors.

# Adam

> Adam Weinberger

I remember the days when some FreeBSD users swore by portmanager, but
subsequent changes to ports framework rendered portmanager unworkable.  I never
used portmanager.

I used portupgrade but switched to portmaster.

First attempt to build synth failed on FreeBSD-current when the system crashed
and rebooted as I was sleeping, so maybe not synth's fault.

Now I see it might be impossible to build synth on FreeBSD-current due to some
ports, including lang/gcc5-aux and lang/gcc6-aux, not building following the
change to ino64; lang/gcc6-aux is a dependency of synth.

But I suppose this will be patched, hopefully in the near future.

I noticed that synth was ported to NetBSD along with pkg, but see nothing on
NetBSD emailing lists regarding synth.

Maybe synth is not catching on in NetBSD; pkgsrc users seem to be staying with
pkg_* tools like in FreeBSD before the switch to pkgng.  Big nuisance updating
packages whose names have changed.

Tom