from Stari Karp:

> On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 06:24 -0400, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
> > On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 06:10 -0400, Stari Karp wrote:
> > > Looks like the new portmaster is coming but what is about Synth? I am
> > > the user of Synth and I like to know what the FreeBSD leaders decided,
> > > please.

> > The "FreeBSD leaders," in their infinite wisdom, decided to can John
> > Marino. Synth development will likely go on, geared towards Dragonfly.
> > Whether it will support future FreeBSD ports enhancements is anyone's
> > guess. Whether gcc6-aux will ever be fixed for 12-CURRENT and 64 bit
> > inodes is also anyone's guess.

> > Sadly, it is/
> > was the best option for users looking to migrate to a "modern" tool for
> > whom poudriere was too much.

> I did install Dragonfly too and for my needs is very good. I am buying
> a new ssd drive and I will installed os from scratch. And I knew what
> happened with John Marino.

One problem I had with DragonFlyBSD was that I couldn't mount/read a NetBSD or
FreeBSD partition, and FreeBSD and NetBSD couldn't mount/read a DragonFly
partition.

That was on the DragonFly boot image written to USB stick, last version was
somewhere before 4.4.

Latest experience (4.4.x) was that DragonFly installation boot image, written
to USB stick, hung on boot.

I checked ports-mgmt/synth/Makefile for DPorts on github.com and see

MAINTAINER= ericturgeon....@gmail.com

but for pkgsrc-synth/pkgtools/synth in (NetBSD) pkgsrc,

MAINTAINER=     dr...@marino.st
HOMEPAGE=       https://github.com/jrmarino/synth

I was not behind the scenes to judge who was right and who was wrong in the
John Marino debacle.

It seems nobody in NetBSD, except John Marino, uses pkg or synth with pkgsrc,
so if I try and need help, there would be no community to help.

64-bit inodes are not the only snag in 12-CURRENT.  Remember pkgbase,
originally planned for 11.0-RELEASE?

I'll have to see what I can do with 11-STABLE and let 12-CURRENT wait on hold.

Tom