On 09/06/2017 00:54, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from René Ladan:
>
>> it is our pleasure to announce that Baptiste Daroussin (bapt@) is
>> back on portmgr.>
> Is this a new port in the works, or is portmgr a (confusing)
> abbreviation for portmanager?

No, portmgr is the group of people that administer the ports system,
issue ports commit bits and so forth.

https://www.freebsd.org/administration.html#t-portmgr

> I never used portmanager, but remember from the days of the old
> pkg_* tools, before pkgng, some users swore by portmanager.
>
> Then portmanager was not compatible with pkgng.  Maybe it can be revived?

portmanager needs work to be made compatible with pkg, and will need
on-going work to cope with some upcoming changes like sub-package and
flavours.  There's nothing stopping anyone stepping up and contributing
that work, and if anyone is even toying with the idea I'd encourage them
to get stuck in -- even small improvements will soon add up.

> But what is happening with synth, supposed to make portupgrade and
> portmaster obsolete?
Synth is still being actively developed but the author is now working
primarily on DFly.  There is a new maintainer for the synth port who
will be porting the latest updates to FreeBSD, much like almost any
other piece of software in the ports.

At the moment there is a problem with synth on recent FreeBSD HEAD due
to not having a working ada compiler.  This will be solved eventually as
the bugs in various toolchains get worked out.