scratch65...@att.net wrote on 2017/06/23 00:15:
[Default] On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 16:11:26 -0500, Mark Linimon
<lini...@lonesome.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:32:45PM -0400, scratch65...@att.net wrote:
My problem is that my industry experience tells me that reducing
the frequency of port releases is practically *guaranteed* to be
a Really Good Thing for everyone.

I remember before we had the quarterly releases, and people on the
mailing lists complained constantly about the ports bits only being
available once per release, or rolling with -head.

Mark, I can only suppose that those complainers are dilettantes
of some sort who believe that having The Latest-And-Greatest Bits
is a social-status enhancer.  **Nobody** with real work to do
ever willingly fools away time "fixing" what isn't broken.

And this is where you are so wrong. Ports tree is never in the state where everything works and has no bugs. (and cannot be, because upstreams have bugs) Even if it compiles and installs it does not mean that it is not broken and nobody needs newer version. Just because your needs are different than others doesn't mean others are dilettantes.

Miroslav Lachman