I am on a FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE amd64 system, building ports with synth, started
off really strong.

On the other computer (motherboard MSI Z77 MPOWER), synth doesn't work well,
can't build packages, crashes the system most of the time.

But on this computer, no such system crashes, but I ran into circular
dependencies which seemed related to print/texlive ports.

Synth screen output was, on several runs

graphics/gd scan aborted because a circular dependency on graphics/gd was
detected.
... backtrace print/texlive-base
... backtrace print/texlive-texmf
... backtrace print/tex-dvipsk
... backtrace textproc/dblatex
... backtrace textproc/xmlto
... backtrace graphics/giflib
... backtrace graphics/webp
... backtrace graphics/gd

textproc/docproj scan aborted because a circular dependency on graphics/gd was
detected.
... backtrace print/texlive-base
... backtrace print/texlive-texmf
... backtrace print/tex-dvipsk
... backtrace textproc/dblatex
... backtrace textproc/xmlto
... backtrace graphics/giflib
... backtrace graphics/webp
... backtrace graphics/gd
... backtrace graphics/scr2png
... backtrace textproc/docproj

math/gnumeric scan aborted because a circular dependency on print/texlive-texmf
was detected.
... backtrace print/tex-dvipsk
... backtrace textproc/dblatex
... backtrace textproc/xmlto
... backtrace graphics/giflib
... backtrace graphics/webp
... backtrace graphics/gd
... backtrace print/texlive-base
... backtrace print/texlive-texmf
... backtrace print/tex-formats
... backtrace print/tex-jadetex
... backtrace textproc/docbook-utils
... backtrace graphics/colord
... backtrace x11-toolkits/gtk30
... backtrace databases/libgda5-ui
... backtrace math/gnumeric

www/seamonkey-i18n scan aborted because a circular dependency on
print/texlive-texmf was detected.
... backtrace print/tex-dvipsk
... backtrace textproc/dblatex
... backtrace textproc/xmlto
... backtrace graphics/giflib
... backtrace graphics/webp
... backtrace graphics/gd
... backtrace print/texlive-base
... backtrace print/texlive-texmf
... backtrace print/tex-formats
... backtrace print/tex-jadetex
... backtrace textproc/docbook-utils
... backtrace graphics/colord
... backtrace x11-toolkits/gtk30
... backtrace www/seamonkey
... backtrace www/seamonkey-i18n

Only web browser I built successfully was elinks; SeaMonkey, Firefox, Otter
browser and Netsurf all failed on similar circular dependencies.

I think the fault is in the print/texlive ports rather than synth, but I could
be wrong.  Abiword also failed on similar circular dependency.

I was successful building llvm40, Xorg, IceWM, jwm, i3 and ratpoison (four
window managers) but haven't run them yet.

It seems the ports go overboard with an awful lot of dependencies, of which not
all install with the main port.  So I expect some of these dependencies might
be false dependencies.

Tom