> > Does synth look for options in /etc/make.conf, or only in
> > /usr/local/etc/synth/LiveSystem-make.conf ?

> synth doesn't look at /etc/make.conf. When it is building, it uses the
> options from /usr/local/etc/synth/LiveSystem-make.conf.

> > From "man synth"
>
> >      Port options directory    This is the directory where all the selected
> >                                options for ports are cached.  The initial
> >                                value comes from a system scan, so chances
> > are
> >                                it has the correct value. However, if the
> > user
> >                                would like a separate configuration area for
> >                                port options, they would create the new
> > direc-
> >                                tory and set this value accordingly (but the
> >                                user would have to ensure the new location is
> >                                passed to the port when configuring port
> >                                options later in that case).
>
> > Do the options have to be in /var/db/ports format, which I want to avoid at
> > all cost?  Or is the LiveSystem-make.conf and /etc/make.conf good enough?

> synth will inspect the specified ports-options directory for options
> in /var/db/ports format. This allows new users to immediately use
> synth without having to configure anything.

> > Just to see what would happen, I don't think I need to run "synth
> > upgrade-system".  "synth status" might be good enough.

> Yup, you're right.

> Cheers.

> Jonathan Chen <j...@chen.org.nz>

So I should put the options in /usr/local/etc/synth/LiveSystem-make.conf .  I
could also put options in /etc/make.conf just in case I build something with
other than synth ("make install clean").

I guess I'll get the chance to see what happens when the port options directory
is not there.  Hopefully it won't find /var/db/ports2 if I don't tell it.

from Don Lewis:

> On 23 Aug, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> > But it seems more cumbersome with "make PORT_DBDIR=... showconfig"
> > than with "make show-options" and "make show depends-options" in
> > NetBSD with pkgsrc.  Or maybe I'm spoiled?

> PORT_DBDIR= only needs to be specified if you want to point to somewhere
> other than the default location.  Otherwise just "make showconfig" will
> suffice.

I tried
make PORT_DBDIR=(nonexistent directory) showconfig
and it worked.

Maybe it acted based on default options?

I could try

make PORT_DBDIR=(real or nonexistent directory) showconfig-recursive |& tee
showconfigrecursive.log (or maybe a shorter name)

comparable to

make show-depends-options 2>&1 | tee optionsdep.log  in NetBSD with pkgsrc

I really need the options to have better visibility than /var/db/ports offers.

Tom