> On Sep 15 07:34, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> I am building up a system (FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE amd64) using synth, but even
> when the packages build and appear in /var/synth/live_packages/All , some of
> the packages don't install.

> When I type "which gnumeric", "which bison", "which abiword", I just get a
> blank, and the executable files don't appear in /usr/local/bin .

> This happened with math/gnumeric, editors/abiword-docs, among others.

> I subsequently installed those packages by typing "synth install
> math/gnumeric" and "synth install editors/abiword-docs", but how do I find
> all the others that built and are listed in /var/synth/live_packages/All but
> did not install?

> I see

> "ls -l /var/synth/live_packages/All" has 657 lines, while

> "pkg info -a" produces 544 lines.

> I piped to "more", then hit G to go to the end, then Ctrl-G, which showed the
> number of lines.

> This may not tell the whole story, but makes me believe there is a disparity,
> and ask how to find and install those packages that built but didn't install.

> Has anybody else been stung by this bug?

Matt Smith responded:

> Do you actually want those packages installed? The usual reason is that
> they are build dependencies only required for building another package
> and therefore they are in the repo but not installed. If they are run
> dependencies actually required for another package to run then they
> should be installed.

> Freshports is a good site for looking at this.
> http://www.freshports.org/

> If you search for something it tells you what is build and what is run.
> Alternatively you can look at the ports Makefile for lines such as
> BUILD_DEPENDS, RUN_DEPENDS, LIB_DEPENDS etc.

In some cases, the named packages failed to install the first time
(math/gnumeric and editors/abiword), and in other cases desired dependencies
didn't install (devel/nasm and sysutils/coreutils, for instance).

I need some of those build dependencies for other things like, for instance,
cross-compiling Haiku and cross-compiling Linux toolchains, or other FreeBSD
ports.

Is there anything I can specify to install those build dependencies, and how do
I go through /var/synth/live-packages/All and pkg info -a to install those
packages that failed to install without missing something?

Synth runs faster and more gracefully than portmaster, but portmaster installed
everything that it built.

Tom