from Chris H:

> port-mgmt/poudriere gets the attention, and maintenance that it does, because
> it was created, and is maintained by someone with a commit bit (bdrewery).
> port-mgmt/synth was also created, and maintained by someone with a commit bit
> (jmarino).
> However, John's commit bit was taken away. While I'll not comment as to why,
> nor elaborate on my personal stand/feelings regarding that action. I can say
> that he has superseded synth with an application called Ravenports[1].
> I also attempted to take on ports-mgmt/portmaster early on in my endeavors
> as a ports maintainer. However, that experience also didn't go well, and I'll
> not bog this thread down with the details. My main intent for my reply, is
> simply to indicate as to why history has been the way it has regarding the
> other ports management utilities, and to indicate there is another possible
> solution, that was not previously mentioned. That I thought you (and others?)
> might be interested in. :)

> [1]
> https://github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports
> https://github.com/jrmarino/ravenadm
> https://github.com/jrmarino/ravensource

I was curious enough to take a look at those Github pages.

Still too early for me to judge.

I see the supported target systems are very limited, but there is a limit to
what one person alone can do.

I believe portmaster and portupgrade work or worked on all supported versions
and architectures of FreeBSD, but synth is limited.

Does poudriere work on all supported versions and architectures of FreeBSD?  I
looked in the Makefile and found no such limitation.

I can still see possible use for portmaster in that something has to be used to
build synth or poudriere from source.

Tom