On Wed, 6 Dec 2017, Jan Bramkamp wrote:

Synth and poudriere are parallel build tools and as such are very taxing on the system. I suspect your system is unstable under such load, because of a configuration error or unreliable hardware. One such configuration error that bit me is tmpfs mounted without size limitation. Without size limits it can exhaust RAM + swap and crash the system. Limit the sum of all your tmpfs mounts to significantly less than RAM + swap.

What happens then? Does the build process merely crash instead? I ask because my minimal system (all I can afford on my "income") has 512MB memory (all it will take) ad 1GB swap; building Ruby etc kills it, so I use packages in that case i.e. no customisation if I wanted it.