Please excuse the earlier blank mail- Android Gmail being moronic again :(

Hello all,

I've just been alerted to an issue with transmission, but only the daemon.

Basically, you can fool it into believing that a remote host is localhost, and
can therefore break in to it.

This is an issue if all of the following are true:

Port 9091 is accessible from the Internet (or you don't trust your LAN)

You have no password set

You rely on host authentication for security

Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue, you can resolve it by setting a
password.  There is a patch at [1] that fixes this, but annoyingly they have
messed with whitespace since 2.92, and the patch doesn't apply.  I expect a
release very soon incorporating this fix anyway.  It also appears to break on
all but Mac OS.

tl;dr set a password for transmission-daemon

Chris

[1] https://github.com/transmission/transmission/pull/468

On 11 January 2018 21:15:26 GMT+00:00, "Janky Jay, III" <jan...@unfs.us> wrote:
>Uhh... Chris? :)
>
>On 01/11/2018 02:08 PM, Chris Rees wrote:
>"freebsd-ports-unsubscr...@freebsd.org"

believed to be clean.