Am 17.02.2018 um 04:22 schrieb Doug Hardie:
> I have encountered an interesting situation while trying to resolve a PR on
> qpopper.  I am unable to build qpopper on 11.1 (and probably 11.0) because
> the openssl function SSLv3_server_method has been removed.  I can see where
> the SSLv2 functions are disabled in ssl.h, but the SSLv3 functions appear
> that they should be there.  nm on libssl shows they are there.  Clang's
> linker can't link to them.  One of the qpopper users' indicates that the
> problem does not exist on 10.4.  I believe the loss of the SSLv3 methods is a
> bug and have filed Bug report.

It is a deliberate security measure to remove SSLv3 methods, and not a
bug. The protocol is broken.

> Resolution of that PR will obviously take some time.  The question at hand is
> what to do in the meantime. I am guessing the packages must be built on 10.x
> or there would be a report of the problem.  I can easily change the code, via
> a patch, to use SSLv23_server_method in all cases, or the preferred
> TLSv1_server_method.  That will eliminate the options to restrict qpopper to
> SSLv2 or SSLv3.  This does not appear to be an issue for those running 11.x.
> However, it is for those using 10.x and earlier.  Given the security issues
> today, I can't imagine anyone wanting to use those options, but it is
> possible someone is using them.  Switching to the TLSv1_server_method will
> remove that capability for them.

Use SSLv23_server_method(), and use code to block out SSLv2 + SSLv3 on
those systems that still support them - which depends on the
OpenSSL/LibreSSL version, however:
Older OpenSSL and LibreSSL require SSL_OP_NO_SSLv3 and SSL_OP_NO_SSLv2
set through ..._set_options() on the SSL or CTX,
newer OpenSSL (1.1.0+) have ..._set_min_proto_version(..., TLS1_VERSION).