On 03/27/2018 14:49, Guido Falsi wrote:
On 03/27/18 22:44, D.-C. M. wrote:
Hello,

Hi!

At this moment, it is impossible to build side by side py27-qt5-core and
py36-qt5-core.

There is a collison on /usr/local/bin/pyuic

This is annoying… Python 27 is still the default, but become quite old now.

I'm not a python expert, but I understand that python 2.7 and python 3
are two slightly different languages not fully compatible with each other.

I also understand(but have not gone into depth about this) that there is
some resistance to python 3, with many developers being reluctant to
move to version 3, for whatever reason(I imagine it's language design
choices, but I really don't know)

I'm stating this because it means such incompatibilities are not going
away easily. It's not just a ports system problem, but an actual python
ecosystem problem.

Too say it in other words, python 2.7 isn't really just "the old
version" and python 3 is not just "the new version". They have parallel
lifes.

I'm not %100 sure that's really an accurate assessment of the slow uptake in Python3.  Regardless, the clock is ticking on the 2.x codebase as it is reaching EOL status in 2020:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/

Hopefully a solid deadline (which has already been pushed back) will motivate developers to accelerate the task of migrating to py3 sooner rather than later.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
p...@nomadlogic.org